At Monument Bank, we recognise that sustainability remains crucial for digital companies due to their environmental impact, carbon footprint, corporate social responsibility, innovation potential, and meeting client expectations.
Despite operating primarily online, digital companies consume energy and resources, contributing to carbon emissions and environmental degradation. By prioritising sustainability, we can reduce our environmental footprint, demonstrate responsible corporate citizenship, drive innovation, and attract environmentally conscious clients, ultimately playing a crucial role in creating a greener future.
We are proud to share the five ways through which we are transforming into a more environmentally conscious and sustainable business.
- ISO14001:2015 Certification: Monument has secured this globally recognised accreditation by creating a robust environmental management framework. We've put a system in place that complies with international legislation and best practice. Our set targets are continuously reviewed and adjusted as part of an ongoing journey towards improving environmental performance.
- Carbon Neutrality: In our steadfast commitment to sustainability, Monument has attained carbon neutral status for the period from May 2021 to December 2022. This accomplishment accounts for scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions. We have not only set a benchmark but are determined to maintain this status, while simultaneously striving to further reduce the carbon emissions our business produces.
- Responsible Consumption: Within our office environment, we have been consciously curbing our reliance on single-use plastic. We are encouraging our team to make the switch and make sustainable choices, particularly when buying lunch.
- Cycle to Work Initiative: To promote healthier lifestyles and lower carbon emissions, Monument is on the cusp of launching a "Cycle to Work" scheme for all our staff. This initiative aims to enable our employees to cycle all or part of their commute, contributing to a greener environment.
- Electric Car Scheme: Expanding on our sustainability mission, we are preparing to introduce an Electric Car Scheme for all our staff. This offering will provide our team the option to lease an electric vehicle through a salary sacrifice scheme. This transition will help them replace their existing petrol or diesel cars, significantly reducing emissions from journeys outside of work.
In the words of our Environmental Officer, Scotia, "The strides Monument is making towards becoming a more sustainable business are truly inspiring. The progress we're seeing is thrilling, and it energises me to know that we are making a substantial difference. Each step we take is a leap towards a more sustainable and greener future. We're not just building a business; we're building a legacy of responsibility and environmental stewardship."